Saturday, April 17, 2010

T4G

T4G! This is the abbreviation for Together For The Gospel, a conference every two years in Louisville, Kentucky. It was started in 2006 with around 2,000 pastors, church leaders and some wives. This year marked a 7,000 attendance. The theme was The Unadjusted Gospel. Last week I was able to join with some of the leaders from Edgewood Bible Church. And with that many people it is hard to believe that we ran into Pastor Mike Jones from Independent Bible Church and a few of his guys.

The conference was held in the Kentucky Convention Center with a number of main sessions, workshops one day, panel discussions among the speakers and plenty of opportunities to explore and purchase books from the various publishers with their tantalizing discounts. While I enjoyed the time of being stimulated in some thought-provoking issues, I must admit that my true enjoyment came from discussions with the Edgewood leaders following the sessions, and of course the fellowship at the various meals.

It has been interesting to observe over the years the swing toward a more conservative view of Scripture, especially among young pastors. While not everyone agrees with all the tenets of Reformed Theology, myself being one, I must admit there is a freshness that excites one to see thousands who are wanting to stand upon the solid teaching of the Scriptures.
Since there was a lot of information downloaded, I will find myself going on line to download the sessions to listen to them again. One of the sessions that was of interest to me concerned the Church Fathers. I suppose some of that comes as a result of my picking up my Church History book and rereading it. We can learn some valuable lessons from the Church Fathers, especially those who identified so closely with the Apostles as their disciples, or disciples of the disciples of the Apostles.

I even had a short time one afternoon to walk down to the Louisville Slugger Museum. This was my second time; the first time Katherine and I went when we had a IFCA Annual Convention in Louisville. As I walked down
the "Walk of Fame" various names like Lou Brock, Johnny Bench, Babe Ruth, etc. brought back fresh memories of my growing up years.

Now to tackle all those free books they gave out - about 20 we figured. I've got my work cut out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment